During the Raya break (August 17 – 23 2012) Politweet collected tweets containing Raya-related terms. These terms were decided based on expected terms and what trended in Malaysia during that period.
To try and focus more on Malaysia, Indonesian-majority terms such as ‘Maaf Lahir’ and ‘Idul Fitri’ were not tracked. However it was later discovered that ‘Idul Fitri’ is used by Malaysians as well.
Selamat Hari Raya
Terms that trended worldwide during this period
- Eid (730 mins, not tracked because too generic)
- Happy Ied Mubarak (370 mins, counted under Ied Mubarak above)
- Eid Mubarak (330 mins)
- #SelamatHariRayaTo (260 mins)
- Happy Eid Mubarak (150 mins)
- Happy Eid (20 mins)
- Selamat Hari Raya (10 mins)
Terms that trended in Malaysia during this period
- Maaf Zahir & Batin (2930 mins, counted under Maaf Zahir above)
- #SelamatHariRayaTo (1620 mins)
- Happy Eid (1520 mins)
- Happy Eid Mubarak (1520 mins, counted under Happy Eid)
- Salam Aidilfitri (1250 mins)
- #SalamAidilfitri (680 mins)
- Eid (530 mins)
- Selamat Hari Raya (220 mins)
- Eid Mubarak (180 mins)
- #HappyEid (50 mins)
- #Raya2012 (40 mins)
- #HappyEidTo (30 mins)
- #TeringinBerayaBersama (20 mins)
Some phrases such as ‘Selamat Hari Raya’ are mainly used by Malaysians and Indonesians, while Eid, Ied and similar terms are used globally. There is no practical way to tell how many users are Malaysian.
Facts and observations
Out of the total tweets, 836,785 (50.59%) were in Malay/Indonesian and 469,708 (28.40%) were in English. The number of Malay tweets is likely even higher (est. 100-200K) as Malay tends to be miscategorised as other languages.
Out of the total users, 371,101 (51.67%) tweeted in Malay/Indonesian and 320,527 (44.63%) tweeted in English. There is some overlap between the 2 groups.
62% of Eid Mubarak users tweeted in English.
91% of Selamat Hari Raya users tweeted in Malay/Indonesian.
Both phrases peaked at the same period, August 19th 5 AM – 7 AM (GMT+8).
Eid Mubarak tweet levels remained consistent until the start of August 21st. This is because the term was used globally at all hours.
Selamat Hari Raya tweet levels were cyclical – high in the morning and evening and very low at night. This is consistent with Malaysian tweeting patterns.
63,402 users (8.8%) follow Malaysian politicians. Its smaller than expected because 1.03 million users follow Malaysian politicians.
The Most Retweeted ‘Selamat Hari Raya’ Tweets (tweet, RTs)
- “RT @LFC: Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri 1433H bagi semua pendukung The Reds di Indonesia yang merayakan. Mohon maaf lahir bathin, dari kami di @LFC”, 682
- “RT @MotivasiCintaku: untuk para Jomblo Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri 1433 H. Lebaran itu yg penting bukan pakaian baru tapi STATUS BARU! (âŒ£Ì©_âŒ£ ) #MotivasiCintaku”, 367
- “RT @DoaIndah: “Taqobbalallaahu minna wa minkum, Minal A’idin Wal Faidzin Kullu aamin wa antum bi khoir. Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri 1433H”.”, 361
- “RT @yunamusic: Eid Mubarak everybody, Selamat Hari Raya, maaf zahir dan batin, have a wonderful celebration.”, 295
- “RT @AbahYou_Tweet: *dapat kad raya* *baca* *dari crush* “selamat hari raya btw saya dah lama suka awak” *sesak nafas* *pengsan* *koma* *mati*”, 292
- “RT @DoaIndah: “Taqobbalallaahu minna wa minkum, Minal A’idin Wal Faidzin Kullu aamin wa antum bi khoir. Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri 1433H””, 290
- “RT @mrezanugrah: Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri 1 Syawal 1433 Hijriyah. Minal aidin wal faidzin ya. Mohon maaf lahir dan batin, kita semua kembali ke fitrah..”, 275
- “RT @KamusCewek: Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri 1433H, mohon maaf lahir & batin ;)”, 255
- “RT @officialJKT48: Seluruh staff JKT48 mengucapkan selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri 1433 H. Minal Aidin Wal Faidzin, mohon maaf lahir dan batin :)”, 250
- “RT @bepe20: Saya sekeluarga mengucapkan: Selamat hari raya Idul Fitri 1433 H, Mohon maaf lahir dan bathin..”, 220
The Most Retweeted ‘Eid Mubarak’ Tweets’ (tweet, RTs)
- “RT @zaynmalik: Eid Mubarak, thankyou to everyone who wished me a happy eid. Love you all :) x”, 35752
- “RT @SamNasri19: Aid mabrouk a tous les musulman, Eid Mubarak to all the muslims”, 2833
- “RT @sneijder101010: Eid Mubarak to all my Muslim followers…. Have a great Sunday everyone….”, 2123
- “RT @LupeFiasco: Eid Mubarak from Los Angeles…Inshallah Allah SWT has accepted our fasts and prayers this Ramadan!”, 1636
- “RT @SHAQ: Dear Friends, I want to take this special time of the year to wish you and your families a Eid Mubarak during this memorable time of the yr”, 1343
- “RT @Milanello: Eid Mubarak to all Muslims around the world!”, 1051
- “RT @thegame: Eid Mubarak !”, 899
- “RT @iamsrk: Eid Mubarak to everyone.May Allah fill your life with happiness. Look forward to reading the Takbirat in an open space in Ladakh.Insha Allah”, 897
- “RT @TheRealAC3: Happy eid mubarak 2 all my muslim followers!! #bless”, 847
- “RT @jaysean: Eid Mubarak to all my muslim fans out there!! Love to u all!”, 807